Senior Committee Report: Building Better Care for Seniors
Broward’s Nursing Homes
- Broward has 35 Nursing homes with 4,569 beds.
- 821 of those beds are on the State’s Watch List. The Watch List identifies Nursing Homes that are operating under bankruptcy protection or did not meet or correct minimum criteria during an inspection.
- Those Nursing Homes are Heartland Health Care Center- Lauderhill, Hillcrest Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, Sunrise Health and Rehabilitation Center, and Wilton Manors Health & Rehabilitation Center
On Sept. 13, 3 days after Hurricane Irma passed through South Florida, a tragedy started to unfold at the Rehabilitation Center in Hollywood Hills, which has claimed 14 lives.
BOLD Justice leaders addressed the emergency through an Op-Ed to demand a revolution in care. You can read the op-ed here:http://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion/commentary/fl-op-viewpoint-bold-justice-nursing-home-deaths-20170922-story.html
The events at Hollywood Hills are not isolated. Consider the following:
- The Hollywood Hills nursing home was not on the State’s Watch List
- The Hollywood Hills nursing home was not the worst-rated facility in Broward
- The Hollywood Hills nursing home is not the only dangerous facility in Broward
- The Hollywood Hills tragedy shed light on life-threatening conditions that are systemic across our community.
It would be naïve to believe that this problem and the solution to it are isolated to one nursing home
What we are doing
- BOLD Justice got a commitment from Broward County Property Appraiser Marty Kiar to lead a Study Group with Memorial Healthcare Systems and John Knox Village to identify strategies to bring a high quality nursing home called a Green House to Broward to serve low-income seniors.
- BOLD Justice is meeting with local officials to do additional research into local strategies to make immediate changes in dangerous facilities.
Information on Greenhouse modelhttp://www.floridahealthfinder.gov/facilitylocator/ListFacilities.aspx?st=11&ssid=2BD5DD48-280B-42D0-AB52-8F65508AF82D 1
A self-contained Nursing Home for 10-12 people similar to a regular home in the surrounding community. It is a state-licensed assisted living or skilled nursing home and meets all applicable federal and state regulatory guidelines.
How does it improve care? Each person who lives in a Green House is treated as an individual with the ability to make decisions about their care and life. They have more direct staff time and interaction than traditional homes.
Is it research based? Studies show improved quality of life and quality of care, as well as improved family and staff satisfaction.
How much does it cost? Green Houses have comparable operating costs to traditional nursing homes and ALFs. They are state and federally licensed, so Medicaid and Medicare are accepted at appropriate facilities.
To Report Abuse or Neglect
Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program: 1-888-831-0404
Florida Abuse Hotline: 1-800-96-ABUSE
Elder Abuse Hotline: (800) 962-2873
AHCA Complaint: (888) 419-3456 / (800) 955-8771
For information on Broward Facilities
Visit Floridahealthfinder.gov to compare Assisted Living Facilities or Nursing Homes, review inspection reports, view watch lists and more.